Sunday, June 19, 2011

Wandering Around Munich...

Today was my last day in Munich, before I travel by train up to Leipzig. So since I did touristy things yesterday, I decided to do equally touristy things today with a sprinkling of souvenier shopping (which is granted, still touristy). I also found I was running out of advil for my ankle and therefore decided to make my first stop a pharmacy. Nothing is harder than trying to communicate with a pharmacist that doesn't speak English. (Or conversely, nothing is harder than having a customer that doesn't speak German.) Eventually I spotted a word I recognized, Aspirin. Success!



Then I continued down the road, looking in different shops, trying to find souveneirs to take home that could actually fit in my suitcase. To say the least, I wasn't that successful. But I did eventually end up at Marienplatz, which is the rather large square in a historic district in Munich.





Cukoo Clock
Clock Tower
There was this huge clocktower in one of the buildings surrounding the square and at 11 o'clock, there was a mechanical "cukoo clock" that showed a German jouster against a French jouster. When the German jouster won, a loud cheer went through the crowd and a mechanical dance party started up in the clock tower!

From here, I went to get a bite of lunch before winding my way through the cobbled streets of Munich in search of an arch erected in celebration of the defeat of Napoleon. (Apparently no one told the Germans that they were actually Napolean's allies.....) Upon going through the arch, you enter a very leafy, pretty park. This Gazebo was found within the park. I wish I could have gotten closer, but they were having some kind of photoshoot in it, so I couldn't.


And finally, I ended my thuorough walking tour of Munich, walking by this fountain:

Poseiden Statue

  I had seen it from my tour bus coming back from the Castles, and decided I needed a picture of it! Upon taking this photo, I made my way back to my hostel to collect my belongings and set off to the train station where I would board the train and 6 hours later, arrive in Leipzig... ugg.
Tomorrow I'll be off to Berlin with Katie!
Cheers! KM







No comments:

Post a Comment