Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Dublin Part 1!!

So after arriving on the ferry yesterday, I went down to a pub and had fantastic Lamb Stew and a pint of Heineken (one of my newfound faves!).  I happed to have a great view out of the window by my bunk bed of the River Liffey and of The Four Courts.  The highest court in Ireland!

The Four Courts
After a lovely nights sleep, I went off in search of beer.  This search led me to the Guiness Storehouse!  As a chemist, I throughly enjoyed the tour that explained the process of brewing their beers and then all of the different crafts involved in casking the beers and transportation of their beers around the world.  Included in the ticket price was a free pint of Stout. YUM!  The head is like cream and the body of the beer tastes much better here in Ireland straight from the tap than the crap we get in the US from the can.  This was also after a free tasting of one of their new beers. 

The big gates that you go through when you exit the Storehouse.

And then it was finally time for a bit of lunch before I catch my train to Ennis.  This time, I tried the pub 'round the block from my hostel.  The Brazen Head is the oldest pub in Ireland, dating back to 1198.  I had yet another pint here and a strangely good brie and tomatoe panini.

The Brazen Head: The oldest pub in Ireland.
This part of my journey ends with me boarding a train for Ennis.  Things I learned on the trip to Ennis: 
Ireland has many cows.
And thats pretty much it..... but they are cute cows, so thats something.  

Thats it for this post, I'll be back tomorrow with pictures of the Cliffs of Moher (hopefully, if the weather holds).

Cheers!
KM

No comments:

Post a Comment