Monday, June 20, 2011

Berlin Day 3: The Zoo and the Indecisive Penguin.....

This morning I woke up super happy because I was going to the Zoo.  Ask anybody that knows me, and they will tell you I LOVE the Zoo!  So I started off the day by finding my way to the Zoo train station and then down the street was one of the entrances to the Zoo!
The Zoo Entrance
 So, unlike American Zoos, you don't get a map, you have to buy one.  Fortunately they have about 4 big maps posted throughout the Zoo, but unfortunately those are in German and getting one in English requires finding Information, which I found next to impossible (meaning: I have no idea where is was, even after looking at the map in German).  So I ended up making my way along various paths hoping that I would see all of the different animals eventually.  I was lucky enough that I went at the primo time to see animal feedings! SO CUTE! 

This little (or I should actually say GIANT) guy quickly became my favorite new thing to take pictures of.  He decided to grace us with his presence when there was a zookeeper handing out snacks to the rest of the Orangutans.  Unfortunately he arrived a bit late, and the smaller orangutans had greedily snatched up most of the treats, but even so, he decided to hang around a bit and pose for some pictures.  It should first be said, that when looking in the enclosure, before he started moving, he was laying down and very much resembled a shag rug circa the 1970s.  But then he made his way closer to the fence and you could see that, in fact, he wasn't an enchanted rug, but a big fluffy Orangutan.     
This was the fluffiest Orangutan that I have ever seen.
And I've seen a lot of Orangutans... :)
 The Germans think they are soo clever.....
No shit Sherlock, WE ARE IN BERLIN....

 Only in movies do you actually see bears do this, until NOW! 
He kept doing this, like he wanted pictures taken.
It was SUPER cute!
I wonder what my Mom's response would be to me asking for a bear....


Aren't they usually predator and prey?
Two birds chilling on a rock.

As with all Zoos, it is now time for a section devoted to strange friendships.... well I really only have two pictures that show strange friendships, so here they are. 


The following is possibly the cutest penguin ever.  He just couldn't seem to decide if he wanted to get in the water.   And to make matters worse, he also couldn't decide which rock would be better to jump off of.  I only got a small clip of him doing this, as he had already been fretfully pacing for around 2 or 3 minutes, by the time I got my camera out. I will attempt to upload the video of this when I have better internet!
Adorable Penguin
I will conclude this post with the fretful penguin.
Tomorrow, i'll be saying goodbye to Germany and catching an early flight back to London!
(Which is probably a good thing, because Germany has far too much beer...)

Cheers!

KM

No comments:

Post a Comment