Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Bavarian Countryside and a King that had FAR Too Much Money....

I arrived at the meeting point for my tour of Linderhof Hunting Lodge and Neuschwanstein Castle, to find about 4 buses loading people.  After being ushered towards the English Language Bus, we load up and start our tour with our quirky German Guide.  If there is a definition of dry humor, Fred, our guide, is listed somewhere after.
Our tour started off with a tour of Linderhof Hunting Lodge.  It is said to be modeled after Versailles, and it isn't hard to see why.  Apparently King Ludwig II used 3-4 kg of Gold to cover practically everything you can possibly put gold on.  There is also a beautiful room of mirrors, that is said to be King Ludwig's favorite room.

Linderhof Hunting Lodge
As if it wasn't weird enough yesterday that I sat with a bunch of people from Texas, I come to find out that there is a group of high schoolers on my tour of Bavarian Castles, that are all from the town over from me!! WHAT?!?!? Apparently the entire state of Texas has decided to travel to Germany, specifically Bavaria. This was further proved when, while at Linderhoff, I exchanged picture taking duties with a trio of women from Arlington, TX.

  It should also be noted, that apparently everybody I meet has at least been to Texas. When I say I'm from Texas, I usually get in response, "Ohh! I've been to Texas, not to Austin, but ....(fill in town name)....!" Long story short, I ended up spending an afternoon with 16-18 year olds. Ohh, the good times, when I still was chaparoned by my Mother (aka last year).

After leaving Linderhof, we went through the cute town of Oberammergau.  Every 10 years this town puts on the Passion of the Christ, to fulfill a promise made centuries ago that delievered the town from plague.  But just in case you don't go to Oberammergau in a Passion of the Christ year (next one is 2020 fyi)  there are the painted houses to see and oodles of cute shops waiting for tourists to snap up their trinkets.
Painted house in Oberammargau.

If you ever get the chance to climb up to Neuschwanstein, don't forget to stop and sample the Bavarian Snowballs! They're delicious concoction of a warm cream cheese batter donut sprinkled in powdered sugar. Guarenteed Artery clogger!! Also at Linderhoff, don't leave without a chocolate croissant from the gift shop. Actually, don't leave anywhere without a chocolate croissant. They are pretty delish in general. It's a good thing I'm walking so much.....

But after walking the 30 minute hike up to Neuschwanstein, and you finally get to enter the castle, its like you stepped into a fairytale! (cue the Disney-esque music)  The decor is decadent, although thankfully there is less gilded stuff here than in Linderhof. (sigh of relief)  But having said that, King Ludwig did have a cave on the 3rd floor. (why was this necessary?) 

Neuschwanstein
Look at  that view!!!!
View out the window!!
After finishing our tour of Neuschwanstein, we headed back to Munich!  After a few more quirky comments from Fred, we lapsed into mostly silence for the rest of the trip.  And before we knew it, we were back in Munich and free to find a most needed dinner.

Tomorrow a bit of sightseeing in Munich before I catch a train to Leipzig!


Cheers!
KM

No comments:

Post a Comment